24 Jul 2017
Engineering and Architectural Studies students moved into the $34m brand new Kahukura building at the City Campus Christchurch today.
So we get to study here?! Engineering and Architectural Studies check out their new building.
Students have seen the 6500m2 building develop over the last two years and were excited to move in and start using the spaces, which are a blend of purpose designed and flexible learning areas, and there is even a cafe.
“Kahukura brings together modern learning spaces and teaching technologies in a building which itself has been designed as a learning tool” Michael Edmonds, Head of Engineering and Architectural Studies, says.
The $34m Kahukura is named after a Māori word that refers to a chiefly cloak, a rainbow and the ancestor of the Cashmere Hills, which the building looks towards. It was prepared for occupation with a ceremony on 14 July and will be officially opened by the Prime Minister Bill English in August.
Sited along Moorhouse Avenue, Kahukura is a striking addition to the urban streetscape, which draws on cutting edge global technology that uses timber as structural element.
At a glance:
- Engineering and Architectural Studies department
- $34 million building
- Designed by Jasmax
- Engineered by Powell Fenwick
- Project Managed by Inovo and Ara
- Construction by Hawkins
- Construction began in 2015
- Floorspace 6500m2
- Learning studios, engineering workshops, computer labs, informal learning spaces, café, socialising areas, exhibition area.
- Programmes taught here are certificates, diplomas and degrees including the Bachelor of Engineering Technology, the Bachelor of Architectural Studies, Diploma in Interior Design and Quantity Surveying/Construction management.
- Sustainable features include solar photovoltaic panels and solar hot water, supplying up to 50% of the building’s energy and two-thirds of hot water
Day One photo gallery: www.facebook.com/pg/AraCanterbury/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1512392142132445
Carbon storing timber building – read more: www.ara.ac.nz/about-us/campus-master-plan/kahukura-engineering-and-architectural-studies