22 Nov 2017
RIPE is an incredible exhibition of projects from the Ara Institute of Canterbury Art and Design students. The exhibit provides an opportunity for the public to marvel at the amazing calibre of work produced by the Ara Visual Communication, Photography, Applied Visual Art and Motion Design students. Pieces range from drawing, prints and sculptures, through to posters, publications, films and animations.
This year’s exhibition opened on Tuesday 21 November with an awards ceremony to recognise student achievements.
The 2017 RIPE award winners are:
- The Will Cumming Memorial Award of $1250 - Sam Lemon.
The winner’s art will be added to the Ara Art Collection, which has benefitted from the generosity and foresight of the Cumming family over many years.
- The Canon Award for Photography (sponsored by Canon NZ) - Hannah Watson
- The Ara Award for Academic Excellence in Photography - Chelsea Saunders.
- The Maxon Cinema4D Award for Digital Modelling (sponsored by Megabits) - Matt Bellamy,
- The Ara Award for Academic Excellence in Multimedia Design -Robert van de Water.
- The Ara Awards for Academic Excellence in Visual Communication Design - Sarah Cant and Bailey Cuff (one student from the each of the two classes in this specialisation).
The four part collection by Sam Lemon which received the Will Cumming Memorial Award
Bruce Russell, Manager of Art and Design at Ara thinks RIPE is a clear indicator of the students’ dedication, and creative talents. “This year’s show is especially strong and all the staff are very proud of the efforts graduating students have made in 2017.”
Come and view the RIPE exhibition, open until Friday 1 December in the Rakaia Centre and CPSA Building, Ara City Campus, Madras Street from 9.00am-5.00pm each day.