Ōtautahi House offers rooms for 192 students in modern attractive apartments and is situated right next to our Madras Street Campus. It is close to amenities such as large supermarkets, a chemist, public transport, and is only a ten minute walk to Hagley Park. Ōtautahi House is a great place to stay whilst you are studying at Ara.
Staying at Ōtautahi House allows you to flat share with a group of students from around New Zealand and the world, make new friends and share new experiences.
Apartments are attractive and comfortable with modern facilities. There are a total of 36 secure apartments, each offering single bedrooms, a lounge, kitchen, showers and toilets.
You have your own room which is furnished with a king single bed, desk, chair, wardrobe, mirror and drawers.
The communal kitchens have a fridge/freezer, microwave, toaster, electric jug and stove. Bathroom amenities consist of two showers, two vanity units and two toilets and there are coin operated laundry facilities on the 2nd and 3rd floors of blocks A & B.
Bathrooms are cleaned every day. You are responsible for keeping your own room and flat tidy and clean.
Blocks A and B have a phone in the lounge for making free local calls. If you reside in block A or B, you’ll need to source broadband through your choice of provider. If you’re in block C, D or E, Wi-Fi is included.
Support is available through the Student Advisor – Otautahi House while you are here, to offer you pastoral care whilst you stay at the house.
Ōtautahi House has house rules based on consideration and respect for others to allow it to function effectively and to ensure your academic success and enjoyment. This includes a no smoking rule. Just as smoking is not permitted on Ara campuses, smoking is also not permitted in the apartments or on the grounds of Ōtautahi House.
View the House Rules for Otautahi house. (PDF0.1MB)
How to apply
All places at Ōtautahi House for semester one have been filled. Rooms may be available in semester two of 2018 and we encourage you to make an enquiry regarding room availability or other accommodation options that we may be able to assist with.
Applications can be made all year round. Preference will be given to those who apply before 31 October.
Please complete the application form and email or post it back to us.
As rooms are limited, you should not wait until you are accepted onto a course before applying to live at Ōtautahi House. You will be notified in October and November whether your application has been successful or not. Students seeking accommodation during the year should enquire as there may be vacancies.
Preference is given to students who are aged 17 – 25 years (18 – 25 years for International students).
If accepted, a bond must be paid to confirm your room booking. If you are accepted into the accommodation but are subsequently not accepted into the programme of study you have applied for, the bond and administration fee will be refunded provided notice is given by the withdrawal date deadline. If you choose not to study with Ara your bond will be refunded, less the administration fee.
There are five options available for domestic students to pay rent at Ōtautahi House:
- Pay the full amount at the start of your studies by cheque or direct payment
- Pay half of the fees at the start of your studies and the other half in June/July
- Pay quarter of the fees at the start of each term (a payment schedule will be provided)
- Fortnightly automatic payments (this will require a guarantor and a payment schedule will be provided).
- Weekly automatic payments (this will require a guarantor and a payment schedule will be provided).
International students are required to pay the full amount by cheque or direct payment before arriving.
Holiday periods and work experience time are charged. Your accommodation contract at Ara in for a 50-week contract, irrespective of the length of course of study.
Social activities are arranged throughout the year, such as barbecues, pizza nights, a quiz competition and an end of year function. An activities fee covers the cost of these events.
There is very limited onsite parking and a ballot will be held. You will be notified if you are successful in the ballot for a park.
- Bond - 2 weeks rent (refundable)
- Activities fee - $150 (non-refundable)
- Administration fee - $200
- Rent (includes power) – $180-190 per week
- Food – shared cost with other flatmates
- Parking (limited parking available) – $20 per week (a Ballot will be held to allocate limited parking spaces)
- Bond - $380 plus
- Activities fee- $150 plus
- Administration fee- $200 plus
- Rent (includes power)- $9500.00 NZD total which needs to be paid before arrival (this equates to $190 per week)
- Food – shared cost with other flatmates
- Bedding pack (optional) - $130
- Kitchen pack (optional) - $70
All Fees are in New Zealand Dollars.
You must intend to be a student studying at Ara.