If you have extensive work experience but no qualification, the Centre for Assessment of Prior Learning (CAPL) can help you gain a career-enhancing qualification by a process of assessment.
With CAPL's support and guidance, you'll identify an appropriate qualification, gather evidence of your skills and expertise and prepare for an assessment. You have a year to complete your assessment. You can undertake the process at your own pace and in your own time so it won't affect work or other commitments.
- Decide if the CAPL process is right for you by downloading an information pack here.
- Once you've identified a qualification, download the relevant application pack here and submit your application.
- Meet with CAPL representatives to discuss your on-the-job experience and ensure the qualification you've applied for is the right one for you.
- Agree on a pathway and accept a quote.
- Gather evidence of your experience and address any skill gaps (this is where you start to compile what you know and study/research any areas you might be missing).
- Undertake an assessment (this involves making a presentation to a panel on a project you've undertaken which demonstrates your expertise relevant to the qualification. The panel assesses you against the qualification's learning outcomes).
- Get your qualification (once you've completed the assessment you'll be awarded the whole qualification or credits towards the qualification. If the latter, CAPL staff will work with you to create a pathway to completing the remainder of the qualification).
Fees vary depending on the qualification sought and the experience being assessed. Your assigned CAPL staff member will provide a quote once you’ve submitted an application.