This course will give you the technical skills required to operate a commercial espresso machine and produce espresso and espresso-based beverages.
You’ll learn from passionate, experienced tutors in a real-life learning environment where you’ll gain coffee knowledge and became familiar with the espresso extraction process, steaming milk and milk pouring.
The course is delivered through a combination of hands-on practical and online learning. We recommend undertaking the online (theory) components first, so you’re well prepared for the practical sessions but you can do the online learning at any time during the course. For the online component, you’ll need access to a computer and the internet.
The practical component is made up of six, three-hour sessions on campus. To pass the course, you need to achieve 80% in each of the seven online assessments, and gain competency in each of the two practical assessments.
- You can start the online component up to three weeks before the start of the course and you’ll also have access 85 days after the course finish date.
- Name key coffee producing countries.
- Describe ways in which coffee beans are grown, processed and stored.
- Use and maintain a coffee grinder.
- Use and maintain an espresso machine.
Monday and Tuesday - 5:30-8:30pm
(online component is available from 19 February)Christchurch City Campus
Intensive Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday - 9am-4pm
(online component is available from 26 March)